Sunday, December 18, 2011

GPP 093: Countdown to the Solstice (4 Days to Go)

In which we host a pre- and post-caroling party, and I take the recorder with me with a group from the Adams Boulevard Neighborhood Association.

MP3 File

I changed up the Ozone plug-in settings in this one to emphasize the stereo image rather than centering the dialog as I did for the last few. I'm not sure if anyone will notice the change, but I think I like this setting better. It produces a more vivid stereo image when listening on headphones. I'm also using a 320K bit rate for this particular episode to try to preserve the image of the singing a little more clearly.

I continue to be very glad that my recorder is a Sony PCM D-1. I dropped it on the floor tonight and it came through completely unscathed and sounds fine. Here's a reference to one that was bitten by a hyena. I mention in the audio "we'll see how it sounds to drop the recorder on the floor" but in fact the recorder did not actually capture that moment. This makes sense when you consider that audio is buffered and there is latency between the moment the audio is picked up by the microphones and the moment the samples of that audio are written to the flash memory. When it hit the floor, it crashed before that audio was stored.

After eating a couple more of the extremely fresh roasted chestnuts I decided that I actually really liked them and wound up eating at least a dozen... here's a method for roasting them. The first one was a little disconcerting because I wasn't expecting them to be soft, chewy, and even savory, with a meaty, slightly umami-like flavor. Isaac described them as tasting a bit like roast chicken, but he couldn't get into them. Once I got used to the flavor I found them delicious, a true natural delicacy that reminds me of some my favorite meaty-tasting black Chinese mushrooms. We'll have to try another batch!

No comments: