Monday, October 21, 2013

Introducing the Morning Valediction Series, and Morning Valediction #1: Keep Watching the Skies (October 15, 2013)

A New Feed

I am setting up yet another feed for a series of unedited solo podcasts. The idea is that I'm out for a morning walk, after dropping the boys off at school. I'm calling this series "Morning Valediction." The title is a sort of pun on the title of John Donne poem "A Valediction Forbidding Mourning." Mourning, morning -- I'm not a morning person and so I'm generally mournful in the morning. A valediction is a farewell address. I'm not planning to go anywhere, but there is a mourning tone to these musings -- I'm becoming keenly aware of the shortness of life as I get older, and the brevity of childhood as my children get older, but it's not just about that. It's also about saying goodbye to things in the world that are changing -- it's morning in America, and not in a good way -- mourning the change, sometimes holding back the change, sometimes trying to reverse it, and sometimes working to embrace the "new normal."

As for the topics -- well, I'm just going to talk about what's on my mind. Sometimes I have an idea in the back of my mind, but the general idea is that I'll talk until I think of something to say, and then continue to talk until I've said it. The first few I've recorded are about 30 minutes long -- roughly fifteen minutes of finding a topic, and then fifteen minutes on that topic -- but don't hold me to that. When they work right it kind of folds up into a neat bow and sounds like I planned it all in advance. When it doesn't... well, then I'm rambling. I am planning to record several per week, but don't hold me to that either -- we make plans, and God laughs.

There is a new podcast feed, here. Note that this link is for iTunes or other pod-catcher software; this is not the link to the MP3 file).

Morning Valediction #1: Keep Watching the Skies (October 15, 2013)

Paul recounts making a Doctor Who-themed birthday cake for his son Sam, and taking him to look through a real telescope. Outer space isn't quite what it once was.

MP3 File

No comments: